- Unified API interface (typically RESTful) for access
- Abstraction of IoT devices - present a unified/manageable view of existing IoT devices
- Ability to plug in new IoT devices, possibly supporting new data formats without affecting existing services
- Ability to offer centralized monitoring and management
- Offer a service factory construct that allows developers to create new services leveraging existing services (that is, not having to write each new service from scratch, if other services offer functionality it can borrow from)
- Strong security - authentication and authorization.
The IoT AEP is essentially a platform that helps IoT vendors implement new services quickly whilst working with diverse IoT sensors and devices. Some of the key aspects of an AEP are: